Sunday, June 21, 2009

2nd Annual Canoeing Fund Raiser For the Fight Against Cancer….Another Great Success Story

Contributed Story, By Sheila Hayes

What a great day we had! We started at Spring Creek Park at 9:00 a.m., canoes and kayaks in tow, and headed to Magnolia Bridge, a three-mile trip. I want to say many thanks to all the Chipola River Rats and to all the gracious Jackson county folks who came out and supported a great cause.

I am writing this article from paradise just up from Hwy. 20 Bridge with two of the best women I know, Peggy “wildcat” Oliver, and Shirley “Rebel” Sims. We are all soaking up all the beauty that the Chipola River has to offer. It was another great cane trip with a great bunch of givers. We all canoed this trip for our friends and our loved ones who have survived cancer and, for those that have lost their battle we also do it to keep their memory alive.

As I was floating down Spring Creek with my wonderful strong mother, who is now 2 years cancer free, we just embraced every person we came in contact with. My mother has always told me you can do whatever you want to as long as you put your heart behind it. That’s why we have canoeing for the fight against cancer. You’ve got to give back to others. I just want ya’ll to know that all the donations which we made, which were $200.00 more than last year, have gone to two great causes.

Half of the money went to a very strong, loving woman who has cancer, and was so sweet to help me with this canoe trip, and we also split the money with all the angels at Covent Hospice, and the great thing is - all the money stays right here in Jackson county.

So as I am sitting on this houseboat remembering our great canoe trip and all the wonderful folks that helped me along the way, I want to Thank each of you for making this trip a success. Ya’ll, you’ve got to keeping helping others every day from the bottom of my heart, I want to say, “We all did a good thing with loving hearts, and, it doesn’t get any better than that Until next year, keep on giving. Thanks honey for always helping me with my ideas!”

No comments: