Friday, July 2, 2010

Lady Indian Signs with S.E. Louisiana

By Joc Calloway

Trish Blish, an anchor for Chipola Softball this past year at third base has ended her recruitment and will return to Division I as the newest member of the Southeastern Louisiana Lions softball program.

Blish, a graduate of Lafayette High (LA) and star catcher in 2007, originally signed with Arkansas Tech, however after red-shirting in 2008 and a dismal 2009, Blish considered retirement.

“In 2009, after mainly being the designated hitter and not catching much, I began to doubt whether I wanted to play softball anymore,” said Bliss. “It just didn’t feel right.”

Nevertheless, after a tryout at Chipola, Blish was immediately offered a scholarship and added to the Lady Indians’ roster, moving from behind plate to third base.

“I had never really played third base before, but that’s where they wanted me,” she said. “It was a refreshing change on one hand, but on the other, I had never been that close to the hitters before with no gear.”

The change worked out perfectly for Bliss. At Chipola, she would be named to the First Team All-Conference list and lead the team to a fifth place finish at the NJCAA National Softball Tournament.

“I had an exciting time at Chipola,” commented Bliss. “I wish I would have found out about them out of high school.”

Bliss recorded 10 home runs for the Lady Indians while batting .293 with six doubles and 36 RBIs.

For the latest news about Chipola Athletics, visit www.chipolaathletics.com or become a fan for Chipola Athletics on Facebook at www.facebook.com/chipolaathletics

No comments: