Thursday, February 4, 2010

Bannerman Receives “Hud” Award

By Clint Cox

The first John Hudson Football Scholarship Award was presented recently to Marianna High School student/athlete Jaren Bannerman. The scholarship award is presented in memory and honor of John Hudson, longtime assistant coach at Marianna High School and Marianna Middle School. The award is voted on by the Bulldog football coaches and is given to a player who most demonstrates character, discipline, integrity and hustle in both the classroom and on the field.

“Getting a scholarship like this is a great honor and I am very thankful,” said Bannerman. Hudson coached Bannerman when he was at the middle school and that makes the award even more special. “He stayed on me all the time to be the best that I could be. He was tough, but he was also quick to tell me how much he loved me. He was always smiling and was a pleasure to be around,” Bannerman fondly recalled of Hudson.

Bannerman has been a three year varsity Bulldog football player and two year varsity baseball player. When asked if he played any other sports like basketball Bannerman replied “No, I can’t jump so basketball is out for me.” After high school Bannerman hopes to be able to attend college on a football or baseball scholarship. Regardless of an athlete scholarship or not, Bannerman plans to attend college and is leaning toward a major in civil engineering.

The award presenter was Rex Suggs, assistant principal at Marianna and a former coach. Bannerman has a lot of admiration for Suggs and that made the award special as well. Showing great humility Bannerman said getting the award makes him feel bless and thankful. “First I am thankful to God for giving me the talent and ability he has given me. Secondly I am thankful to my parents and grandparents for all they have done and grateful to all the coaches,”

Bannerman, age 17, is the son of Scott and Mendy Bannerman of Marianna. He is the grandson of Buddy and Sharon Bannerman and Linda Hunt.

No comments: